posting url link

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
Snowfire

posting url link

Post by Snowfire »

Can someone explain to me, in words of few syllables, how to "overwrite" a url link with text of my own. Most people here do it often but I havent got a clue how.

I know some links do it for you, replacing the url with an actual sentence pertaining to its subject.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Wandrin

posting url link

Post by Wandrin »

Highlight the text you want to use and then click the url icon. Paste in the url and it should be linked to the text you highlighted.
LarsMac

posting url link

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1486712 wrote: Can someone explain to me, in words of few syllables, how to "overwrite" a url link with text of my own. Most people here do it often but I havent got a clue how.

I know some links do it for you, replacing the url with an actual sentence pertaining to its subject.

Firstly put a link in post using the InsertLink icon

You will see a line that starts off:

then look for the ""

any text between those two strings can be edited to say what you want it to, and will appear as the link in your final post.

Example: This thread is http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/probl ... -link.html

Put that in a link, and it appears like:

[URL=http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/probl ... -link.html]http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/probl ... -link.html

You can then edit between the brackets

How to edit link info

You probably want to reply to this post to get into the editor to see what is actually happening
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

posting url link

Post by spot »

Good lord I've never seen any of those bits. It's amazing what people write when they know what they're doing.

What I do is, I get the page I want to link to in a browser tab and I copy the visible URL from the top textbox of the page. OR if it's a link I'm copying from a page, I right-click on the link and select "copy this URL". Either way will get the entire URL into the clipboard.

Then, where I want the linked text inside my post while |I'm typing the post in, I type [] - square braces - and inside them I type url= and then paste. That gets the link location into the post.

Pressing the right-arrow gets past the closing square brace, and I type the text I want highlighting as the link. When it's entered, I do the [] braces again and fill them with /url and THAT'S IT. All done. Carry on with the post.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

posting url link

Post by Snowfire »

Thank you all for your time. I'll let you know if any of that sunk in

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

posting url link

Post by Snowfire »

Did I just do it or do I need another lesson

Winston Churchill
spot

posting url link

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1486860 wrote: Did I just do it or do I need another lesson

Perfectly done, bravo.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

posting url link

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1486860 wrote: Did I just do it or do I need another lesson

Ya done good.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

posting url link

Post by FourPart »

Assuming it was the Google page you wanted to link to, that worked fine.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”