Pfizer Kills The Death Penalty

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Pfizer Kills The Death Penalty

Post by FourPart »

Pfizer Blocks Its Drugs For Lethal Injections

I've always been curious as to why the U.S. Government has such a problem is finding ways to execute its condemned criminals. So, it's main supplier refuses to supply them. So what? There have to be other companies in different countries with no such qualms. Besides, what is the problem? Even with everyday surgical procedures, the anaesthetic is the most dangerous part of the operation. Surely it wouldn't be a problem just to give something like 10 times the dosage? Isn't that how they do it when they put animals to sleep? Failing that, surely there's no shortage of neuro toxins used by the U.S. military that would do the job? If a tiny dose can be used to murder a MI5 operative by a KGB one by a jab to the foot in the point of an umbrella, why can't they do it in a controlled situation with 500ml of the stuff?

I can't help feeling there's far more to this story than meets the eye. Besides, the Americans have never had any problems in finding ways to despatch its criminals in the past. Electric Chair, Gas Chamber, Hanging, Firing Squad, etc. Until fairly recently the French still used the Guillotine.

This isn't a matter of whether or not the Death Penalty should be an option. It's a matter of its implementation. When there is no question at all of guilt of a crime that warrants the Death Penalty, I have no qualms about it, but I also believe that the execution should be carried out within a reasonable time period of the sentence. The examples given in the article of prisoners still on Death Row since the mid 70s is just over the top. Not only is that not morally right for the condemned, not knowing his / her fate, it isn't right for the families of the victims, not giving them closure. If it's going to be a Life Sentence, they should say so. If it's to be a Death Sentence, they should carry it out as quickly as possible - within no more than, say, a year of sentence.

Return to “General Chit Chat”