Garden BBQ

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
AndrejM

Garden BBQ

Post by AndrejM »

Hello everyone,

As most people in the world i love a good BBQ. A while back it was just me an my immediate family every Saturday we would get out the BBQ and start cooking up some burgers. Before we knew it, the Saturday BBQ has turned into family and friends gathering every week to have a few drinks and food.

Now i need to get a bigger BBQ. I have been searching online for BBQ for sale everywhere and found loads as you could imagine. then i saw a picture of a brick BBQ that looked beautiful and they can be as big as you want. what i'm hoping you guys can do is, tell me the difference if any between the 2 and if it's worth building a brick BBQ or just buying one. Like not being able to move it, what is the maintenance like? etc.

This is a kinda what i am going for

spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

If you build it you can't move it. Either will need keeping clean.

Build a barbeque (with pictures) | gardenersworld.com
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Garden BBQ

Post by LarsMac »

AndrejM;1505000 wrote: Hello everyone,

As most people in the world i love a good BBQ. A while back it was just me an my immediate family every Saturday we would get out the BBQ and start cooking up some burgers. Before we knew it, the Saturday BBQ has turned into family and friends gathering every week to have a few drinks and food.

Now i need to get a bigger BBQ. I have been searching online for BBQ for sale everywhere and found loads as you could imagine. then i saw a picture of a brick BBQ that looked beautiful and they can be as big as you want. what i'm hoping you guys can do is, tell me the difference if any between the 2 and if it's worth building a brick BBQ or just buying one. Like not being able to move it, what is the maintenance like? etc.

That actually looks like a decent set up.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Garden BBQ

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1505009 wrote: That actually looks like a decent set up.

Nowhere to put the beer cans :-)
minks

Garden BBQ

Post by minks »

that looks great

Lol Bryn, just chuck them into the foliage behind the BBQ.

Or do you mean the full ones, well then you build an add on ice chest kind of devise that you slide in and out of a brick shelf unit thing.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
AndrejM

Garden BBQ

Post by AndrejM »

The beer is a very good point, i need to take this in to consideration :) The cleaning of the BBQ is the bit that is stopping me from doing it. I can just see a massive mess already..
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1505022 wrote: Nowhere to put the beer cans :-)

There are bottles cooling in an ice pail beneath the grill itself, you could use it for cans too of course.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

I split an oil drum made a stand and put wheels at one end once.

Somebody 'borrowed' it and I never got it back.
Clodhopper

Garden BBQ

Post by Clodhopper »

Not a big bbq person, but do like the occasional wild camp and cooking on an open fire. Only point I'd make is don't go too far - You see these gas powered outside stoves and honestly at that point why not cook in a regular oven?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

I'm trying to recall whether I've ever been to a barbecue. None spring to mind. I find it extremely disconcerting to eat without cutlery.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505047 wrote: I'm trying to recall whether I've ever been to a barbecue. None spring to mind. I find it extremely disconcerting to eat without cutlery.

As you say often....................we move in different social circles.

(Never been to a BBQ ? Expect you always have your top shirt button done up too)
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

Black vest, yellow long-tail cotton shirt with an open collar, black James Pringle trousers and a padded fleece jacket from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, lace-up three-hole black leather Oxford shoes. I have sufficient of each to have kept the same look for years.
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505068 wrote: Black vest, yellow long-tail cotton shirt with an open collar, black James Pringle trousers and a padded fleece jacket from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, lace-up three-hole black leather Oxford shoes. I have sufficient of each to have kept the same look for years.

I can believe it.

Never heard of George
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Garden BBQ

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1505077 wrote: I can believe it.

Never heard of George

Nor Florence and Fred apparently :-)
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

Who are George, Florence and Fred?
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

I have to take on the two of em now...........we were talking, personal attire, fashion ?

George at Asda........fashion for the proletariat.
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

You cannot be serious. Asda sells food, not clothes. Asda is a form of grocer along the lines of Fortnum and Mason.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Garden BBQ

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1505084 wrote: I have to take on the two of em now...........we were talking, personal attire, fashion ?

George at Asda........fashion for the proletariat.

?Que?

And F & F do much the same for Tesco - think St Michael and go down a bit :-)
tude dog

Garden BBQ

Post by tude dog »

Sharp Dressed Man

Clean shirt, new shoes

And I don't know where I am goin' to.

Silk suit, black tie,

I don't need a reason why.

They come runnin' just as fast as they can

'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,

I ain't missin' not a single thing.

And cuff links, stick pin,

When I step out I'm gonna do you in.

Top coat, top hat,

I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat.

Black shades, white gloves,

Lookin' sharp and lookin' for love.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

Fortnum and Mason ?.................and Tesco......sure enough...........very different social circles.

Who'd a thought I'd have more in common with ZZ Top Dawg ?
AndrejM

Garden BBQ

Post by AndrejM »

Some great reply's from some great guys :)

I love the oil drum idea with the wheels!! i would be getting that back of who ever borrowed it though!!! I am going to get some plans drawn up and get back to you all. i think it is a better idea to build than buy a gas BBQ because you are wright ClodHopper "why not cook in a regular oven". Thanks for the reply's guys back shortly
AndrejM

Garden BBQ

Post by AndrejM »

Yesterday i sat down and drew my own garden BBQ design then about 2 hours later i found the same design already planned out.

here it is

AndrejM

Garden BBQ

Post by AndrejM »

AndrejM;1505183 wrote: Yesterday i sat down and drew my own garden BBQ design then about 2 hours later i found the same design already planned out. in a D.I.Y book from this site http://www.forsale.co.za/

here it is

After some more research i have been thinking of adding a pizza oven while i am at it. Not that much more work than what i have to do already and it opens up to a world of cooking possibility's

cars

Garden BBQ

Post by cars »

It's great how your BBQ party has grown into such a large gathering. You may want to consider getting 2 or 3 ready built large roll about BBQ's. Different temps on each one for cooking different meats, veggies, etc,. While at the same time it could allow you to make it easier on yourself by having more then one person having to do all the BBQing. Just thinking out loud.
Cars :)
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

The pizza oven can warm pre-baked bread rolls as well. I assume BBQ rolls are served warm? I'm having to work from first principles here.
Bruv

Garden BBQ

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505195 wrote: The pizza oven can warm pre-baked bread rolls as well. I assume BBQ rolls are served warm? I'm having to work from first principles here.

Watch my lips.......pizza O-V-E-N........the clue is in the name.
LarsMac

Garden BBQ

Post by LarsMac »

BBQ Rolls?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Garden BBQ

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1505193 wrote: It's great how your BBQ party has grown into such a large gathering. You may want to consider getting 2 or 3 ready built large roll about BBQ's. Different temps on each one for cooking different meats, veggies, etc,. While at the same time it could allow you to make it easier on yourself by having more then one person having to do all the BBQing. Just thinking out loud.

Or just one roll about BBQ if it's the right one.

- DH Lawrence
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1505215 wrote: BBQ Rolls?Ah. The bread component, used (as best I understand these things) as finger-covers when moving greasy bits to the mouth.

magentaflame

Garden BBQ

Post by magentaflame »

Stainless steel beer kegs make exellent spits. Ive made a pizza/bread oven from sand and clay before. Its dead simple.

Spot....why would you eat without cutlery at a bbq? These days we call a bbq area an outdoor kitchen.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Garden BBQ

Post by spot »

Pure guesswork on my part. I have eaten outdoors, of course, but it has involved a hamper and thermos and lots of cutlery. When camping I have long since given up carrying pots and pans and brillo pads and switched to country pubs.
magentaflame

Garden BBQ

Post by magentaflame »

Quite right. Cant beat a country pub breakfast.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
xfrodobagginsx

Garden BBQ

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Love garden veggies..
xfrodobagginsx

Garden BBQ

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Looks awesome!
xfrodobagginsx

Garden BBQ

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

LarsMac;1505216 wrote: Or just one roll about BBQ if it's the right one.

Nice.
xfrodobagginsx

Garden BBQ

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

AndrejM;1505031 wrote: The beer is a very good point, i need to take this in to consideration :) The cleaning of the BBQ is the bit that is stopping me from doing it. I can just see a massive mess already..

The beer can also be used to cool and flavor the meat during cooking.

Return to “General Chit Chat”