Manning Sentence Commuted...

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

...By Obama.

I think he should have pardoned her, but, oh well, this is better than nothing. Unfortunately, I think by doing this Obama is also sending a message to Snowden that had he been willing to face the music this would probably have been his fate as well. Though how could Snowden predict that given that Obama's administration was so aggressive toward whistleblowers in general. If Obama wouldn't pardon Manning I don't see him doing so for Snowden.

I hope Obama proves me wrong and does pardon Snowden.

Since Snowden is holed up in Russia, perhaps Trump will pardon him - even to spite Obama.

One can only hope. And then the rest of them too.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Thank you President Obama, you have class.

As for Snowden or Assange, I'm not sure one can pardon someone not convicted. An offer of immunity from prosecution would be a good move though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Anonymous doesn't appear to think much of Assange.

#Anonymous squeals on Wikileaks & Julian Assange
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1505437 wrote: Thank you President Obama, you have class.

As for Snowden or Assange, I'm not sure one can pardon someone not convicted. An offer of immunity from prosecution would be a good move though.

A pardon can be given, regardless of conviction. A pardon says, whatever you did is forgiven.

As for Snowdon, he was a soldier, and knew that what he was doing was against the UCMJ and against civil law. He did it anyway. If he was not willing to face the charges and accept the consequences of his actions, then he should not have done what he did. Whether he ever is tried for his crimes or not, or if he is pardoned by a future president, doesn't really matter that much.

Same with Manning. He/she knew what they were doing, and knew the consequences that they were likely to face. I applaud the courage that it must have taken to do what you believe is right in the face of certain punishment. I don't plan on getting into the right and wrong of what they did, but, I am pretty sure that the whistle-blower act does not apply to military personnel.

More power to her if she gets to miss out on those 35 years in prison. She will have to deal with the reputation she has earned, wherever she goes, and life will not be easy in the US for her. If I were in her shoes, the first thing I would do is get my name legally changed, and seek residence in another country for a while. I hope life works out for her.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1505441 wrote: Anonymous doesn't appear to think much of Assange.

#Anonymous squeals on Wikileaks & Julian Assange

Well, then. I am in relatively good company.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Assange is okay, He's been through more than the other two..(in terms of trying to get him) But I tend to look at character rather than personality.

I'm pleased to hear about Manning. I don't know enough about Snowdon.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!

Return to “Social Human Rights”