Doctor Blake Mysteries

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
LarsMac

Doctor Blake Mysteries

Post by LarsMac »

The wife found another fine offering from Australia Television now on Netflix.

Set in the early fifties, in Ballarat, Victoria, Dr Blake assists in solving crimes that baffle the easily baffled Police Chief Police Super.

Dr Blake, apparently haunted by memories of the Japanese takeover of Singapore and the loss of his family, during the war, returns to Ballarat to take over his father's medical practice.

It is kind of a cross between Inspector Lewis, and Columbo, with a bit of Foyle's War tossed in.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Doctor Blake Mysteries

Post by magentaflame »

More about his war years comes out as the series continues .....more Foyles war though than Columbo lol.... so yes hes the local police surgeon (pathologist).. along with his own demons in other areas... like his no nonsence housekeeper..... i wont ruin it for you but its a bloody good series. Who'd have thought Craig Mcloughlin could pull something like this off. But he's a fine actor and his co stars are a who's who of aussie television.

Nice to see the old buildings and housing of Ballarat though featured in the series. Have you ever heard of a series called the Sullivans... now theres a series your Mrs would like. Quintisenttially Australian television . The writers were exellent .
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Doctor Blake Mysteries

Post by LarsMac »

I was admiring the buildings and setting of the town. I was surprised at the foliage, though. I was always under the impression that far south would be in a more temperate clime, but that area seems to be almost tropical. Guess I still have a lot more to learn.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Doctor Blake Mysteries

Post by magentaflame »

It snows in our southern rainforests. :) think Italy and Greece with a dash of desert and snow. Melbourne is about 40 mins south and you know what theysay about melbourne....if you dont like the weather, wait ten minutes.

You need to come for a visit.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Doctor Blake Mysteries

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1508610 wrote: More about his war years comes out as the series continues .....more Foyles war though than Columbo lol.... so yes hes the local police surgeon (pathologist).. along with his own demons in other areas... like his no nonsence housekeeper..... i wont ruin it for you but its a bloody good series. Who'd have thought Craig Mcloughlin could pull something like this off. But he's a fine actor and his co stars are a who's who of aussie television.

Nice to see the old buildings and housing of Ballarat though featured in the series. Have you ever heard of a series called the Sullivans... now theres a series your Mrs would like. Quintisenttially Australian television . The writers were exellent .

Netfix only had the first 3 seasons. We watched the last of those last night. McLachlan does a fine job. I was glad to see Joel Tolbeck's character return.

Looking forward to the next seasons arriving, some day.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General TV Shows”