http://www.dogster.com/?27525

capt_buzzard

Best Drummers

Post by capt_buzzard »

Ah the African Celt WOW:guitarist
BabyRider

Best Drummers

Post by BabyRider »

Rick Allen, Def Leppard, by far. The man has one arm and plays like THAT?! He's got my vote.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Lon

Best Drummers

Post by Lon »

It was a different era with different music--------Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich
Majenta

Best Drummers

Post by Majenta »

gotta be Jose Pasillas... that dude makes me want to cry with jealousy :-1 have been drumming for years and I'll never be as good... *sigh*
LottomagicZ4941

Best Drummers

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Ian Pace of Deep Puprle

All the various yes drummers

Carl Palmer

Cozy powell former Rainbow,Whitesnake, and Black Sabath

Chris Slade Currently Asia, previously The Firm, AC/DC, Uriah Heap, and Manferd Man's Earth Band

Lotto

http://com4.runboard.com/blifetheuniver ... ainchat.t3

MagicZ4941A
Explorer the eighth

Best Drummers

Post by Explorer the eighth »

Christian Vander

Cozy Powell

Bill Bruford

Pierre Moulin

Daniel Denis

John French

Robert Wyatt
StupidCowboyTricks

Best Drummers

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Clancy wrote: I've seen most of the Rock drummers, from the technical, to the smashical

Keith Moon was wonderful to watch because he was a showman {and a nutter} John Bonham, less of a showman, but powerful and dynamic,as is Ginger Baker, and Ian Pace. Steve Gadd is another quality musician, and his work on Steely Dan's Aja is amazing, and earned him his reputation. Omar Hakim, is another excellent drummer....there's loads of them now.

The "technicians" are usually in the jazz fusion area, and they'll be less well known than their rock counterparts, but they cross over a lot. Hakim played in Stings line-up, and Gadd plays for Clapton, so he has to cover Rock Reggae, and of course Blues. I think you'd have to have different categories, and maybe vote one out of each category.

My very first concert my seats were behind the stage (Anaheim Convention center Calif, I think 1968) I was close to the stage just a about 20 feet behind Ginger Baker and his drum kit.....I had never seen a double bass drum and it was a show in itself watching him.......it was strange they seated us behind them.....if you look at old home videos and such you can see how the Beatles and other groups would change everything around to play to the folks behind them......lol......this didn't happen with this concert....Eric Clapton and the others came to the back of the stage during Bakers solo....they smoked and drank beer....Eric Clapton shook some beer up and sprayed someone in the audiance....this was "the Disraeli gear tour." Ginger Baker was amazing to watch, he was all over the place on those drums and cymbals.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

spot

Best Drummers

Post by spot »

I'm glad Cosy Powell got a mention, he and Keith Moon stand out in my memory for great live performances.

As for current artists, nobody's brought up Dave Mattacks. I think I've seen him play more often than I've seen any other drummer and he's at the heart of whatever's going on musically on stage. http://www.dmattacks.co.uk/main_fr.htm has his current gig dates.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Uncle Kram

Best Drummers

Post by Uncle Kram »

Hey Clancy, I'd forgotten how good the drumming on Aja was.

Although not my favourite band, I always admired the work of Neil Peart in Rush. Surprised no-one else has mentioned him.

Most admired though is Rick Allen. Great contribution to a superb band. Nice bloke too

p.s. Howcome no-one's mentioned Michael Holloway from Flintlock?:D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Shweet tatersalad

Best Drummers

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

John Bonnom
alobar51

Best Drummers

Post by alobar51 »

valerie;77064 wrote: Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman.

By far!

:-6

As I've gotten older, I've gained a much greater appreciation of Billy, and grown increasingly weary of Mickey's overbearing style. All too often, he just doesn't listen to those around him.

The shows I listen to today are almost exclusively the one drummer years.

There was an English drummer, Clive Bunker, who played for a band called Jethro Tull in the late 60's/early 70's. Is he still around?

My father came from a very musical family, and he had no time for the music of my generation. His attitude towrds drummers was, "You ain't Buddy Rich, you ain't s#%t!"

Anyway, he walked into the house one day, with some Jethro Tull blaring from my stereo, paused for a minute, and said, "Who is that drummer? He's really good."

The only time he ever acknowledged that there was anything remotely redeeming in my music.
Rain

Best Drummers

Post by Rain »

I really loved Keith Emerson of ELP. I remember watching In Concert in the early 70's and seeing him doing sommersaults in his drum cage.

Sorry Tommy Lee, Keith Emerson had you beat by a couple decades :p
alobar51

Best Drummers

Post by alobar51 »

Rain;489584 wrote: I really loved Keith Emerson of ELP. I remember watching In Concert in the early 70's and seeing him doing sommersaults in his drum cage.

Sorry Tommy Lee, Keith Emerson had you beat by a couple decades :p

Keith Emerson is a piano player.
Rain

Best Drummers

Post by Rain »

Alobar! You're right! Duh. Now if I'd pull my Old head out of my... never mind. Apologies all around folks.

So... moving on... Drummers Rain! Drummers! :rolleyes:

I'd have to go with John Bonham. and there's another one too but I don't know if many of you will even know who he is. It's Jimmy Vincent from the Louis Prima Band. (1940's) He used to wear a gorilla mask. VERY famous!
Erinna1112

Best Drummers

Post by Erinna1112 »

Mick Fleetwood.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
buttercup

Best Drummers

Post by buttercup »

Rush :-4

Oh & did anyone notice 'run to the hills' Iron maiden?

Return to “General Music”