Child marriage USA ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Child marriage USA ?

Post by Bruv »

You’re thinking: “Child marriage? That’s what happens in Bangladesh or Tanzania, not America!”

I find this amazing, an 11 year old marrying in the US ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Child marriage USA ?

Post by gmc »

It's worse than you think.

New Jersey governor refuses to ban child marriage because 'it would conflict with religious customs' | The Independent

Bear in mind that as a minor the girls involved (and not just in this state) cannot take on a lawyer to help them, if they run away they get returned to their parents if they go to a women's shelter asking for help they can't protect them as they are open to being prosecuted themselves for kidnapping and as a minor it is the parents that give consent on her behalf so even if she objects her opinion has no standing these is no access to family planning for a child. Just remember there are the same religious groups that lament the decline in moral standards only the rel;igious could find child marriage defensible..
Bruv

Child marriage USA ?

Post by Bruv »

So child protection laws don't count ?
LarsMac

Child marriage USA ?

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1511101 wrote: So child protection laws don't count ?

Apparently, not with parental consent
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Child marriage USA ?

Post by LarsMac »

I had to go do some research. I always assumed that all the states had fairly restrictive laws around Age of consent for marriage.

Damn! Was I surprised.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Child marriage USA ?

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1511110 wrote: I had to go do some research. I always assumed that all the states had fairly restrictive laws around Age of consent for marriage.

Damn! Was I surprised.

One of the anti Muslim rants is that Mohamed took a child bride, American idiots haven't even got that anymore.
spot

Child marriage USA ?

Post by spot »

They're both examples of religious fundamentalism.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Child marriage USA ?

Post by magentaflame »

So in America you can still be sold into slavery ? Legally?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Child marriage USA ?

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1511116 wrote: So in America you can still be sold into slavery ? Legally?

- DH Lawrence
gmc

Child marriage USA ?

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1511101 wrote: So child protection laws don't count ?

The United States has signed the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), but is the only United Nations member state that is not a party to it. They haven't ratified it for, amongst other reasons it would interfere with the freedom of religion that also allows child marriage. It's the same twisted logic, it wopuld also mean the right to try children as adults and impose the death penalty would be at risk.

It's an old argument who is responsible for the child and when is it right and the right right of the state to intervene. The concept of individual rights is not one you will find any religious fundamentalist supporting. It's the same with the rigts of women eve's curse is so ingrained in our culture we don't even see it any more and religious fundamentalists just love it..

Return to “General Chit Chat”