A ballooning village?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Clodhopper

A ballooning village?

Post by Clodhopper »

It seems an area around a village in Devon is rising at a rate of 2cm a year for no apparent reason:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/d ... spartandhp

Weird. What it looks like is a lava dome but that's impossible there. If it's water, what happens next? Will it subside again as mysteriously as it has come? Or Thar She Blows?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

A ballooning village?

Post by spot »

I know those parts and it's clear enough if you go there, it's the horses.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

A ballooning village?

Post by Clodhopper »

The Devon Manure Dome...

That'll give the cream teas an authentic tang.

spot

A ballooning village?

Post by spot »

No, that would fail to exclude fields of cattle.

The earth rebounds when weight is removed, yes? After a glacier melts, the land rises. Willand in Devon is where the the British Army's mass transit base for horses was established in 1851. At its peak around 1917 Willand had fifty million tons of horses sat on the two square miles of the camp. My theory is that the closure of the base after World War Two mechanization released the spring and the land is still upward bound. It's only recently that space radar has been sensitive enough to notice.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

A ballooning village?

Post by Clodhopper »

chuckle. 50 mill tons in 2 square miles? Ok, I don't visualise numbers well but at say 1/2 a ton a horse that's 100,000,000 horses in 2 square miles...how deep did they stack them? All over the village, too.

I'd believe 100 mill went through the camp over its lifetime - WW1 in particular ate horses, I understand. edit: 100 mill still sounds a lot, even over 100 years...

Still curious about what could be causing this.

Return to “Science Technology Videos”