Brett Kavanaugh

Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

Has anyone here been following the events regarding the US Supreme Court hearings?

After watching both Ford and Kavanaugh, I find it difficult to imagine Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS. Kavanaugh's behavior strikes me as that of a guilty person, and also that of an alcoholic.

Also, the antics of the Republicans on the committee is distressing. The Democrats, otoh, have impressed me. The females on the committee were especially impressive - their line of questioning and professionalism caused Kavanaugh to appear childish.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1520788 wrote: Has anyone here been following the events regarding the US Supreme Court hearings?

After watching both Ford and Kavanaugh, I find it difficult to imagine Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS. Kavanaugh's behavior strikes me as that of a guilty person, and also that of an alcoholic.

Also, the antics of the Republicans on the committee is distressing. The Democrats, otoh, have impressed me. The females on the committee were especially impressive - their line of questioning and professionalism caused Kavanaugh to appear childish.

Yup. I've been watching the goings on.

I was ready to give him some leeway at first, but his tirade struck me more as the Self-righteous indignation of an adolescent caught in the act, than an innocent victim of some nefarious plot by the Democrats to torpedo his bid for a seat in the top court of the nation.

I couldn't help wondering how many times he had practiced that speech.

Yes, it was 30 some years ago, and obviously beyond the Statute of limitations, so he has no worry about prosecution.

Most of us did some really stupid stuff when we were young, that we would really not like to have exposed in our adulthood, I suspect, but when caught, most of us are likely to be mature enough to face up to it, and behave with some maturity, and perhaps even apologize.

His tantrum does not leave one feeling at all comfortable with him taking a seat at SCOTUS.

The only thing that I found to agree with him on was "I like Beer."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Of course, I have been watching.

I feel bad for Dr. Ford in that she thought she could be treated with respect. Forget that as it was s Democratic who betrayed her in revealing her name and accusation which she wanted to keep confidential.

From day one the Demos created a circus atmosphere. Then it gets dark bringing on Dr. Ford.

Using a woman to destroy your life would piss off the pope.

Dr. Ford cried for sympathy, cute. Any shock with that with all the delays and slander Kavanah wouldn't be somewhat blunt? He was speaking emotionally, not as a judge.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

It is downright scary for me to think about this guy with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520790 wrote: Of course, I have been watching.

I feel bad for Dr. Ford in that she thought she could be treated with respect. Forget that as it was s Democratic who betrayed her in revealing her name and accusation which she wanted to keep confidential.

From day one the Demos created a circus atmosphere. Then it gets dark bringing on Dr. Ford.

Using a woman to destroy your life would piss off the pope.

Dr. Ford cried for sympathy, cute. Any shock with that with all the delays and slander Kavanah wouldn't be somewhat blunt? He was speaking emotionally, not as a judge.

I am reading your post and thinking:

"So you're OK with his drunken antics as a kid, but the Dems are evil for bringing public attention to them and suggesting that he may not be the Golden boy?

And never mind that he denies it all and throws a tantrum. And nevermind that there are several more queuing up to have their say."

And do you suppose that he has been the straight arrow since he graduated Law School?

I'd like to know a lot more before he gets in that chair.

But of course, it's all a Democrat conspiracy. Probably the Clintons are behind it.

This whole episode has been bizarre. We see the party power play right out there in the open. Dems, Republicans, they are all a mess.

Every American should be embarrassed by this crap.
- DH Lawrence
Mickiel

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Mickiel »

I think the judge may have lied , and going forward that may come back on him later. He wants a certain image to show him to be without fault.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

Kavanaugh and Mark Judge had better hope they never discussed this with anyone else that recalls such discussions. They were obviously drunk often and drunks often have loose lips.

With the threat of lying to the FBI charges now a possibility Judge might have to flip on his old drinking buddy. I find it amusingly ironic that a guy who wrote and sold a book openly describing himself as a fall-down, blackout drunk is suddenly looking for confidentiality. That makes Judge appear as guilty as Kavanaugh's histrionics cause him to appear.

As for Kavanaugh's mom, she most likely knew her son was a drunk in HS. Moms usually do know such things unless they are completely absent either physically or emotionally. Though those sorts of behaviors by parents are often the cause of their children acting out.

Another caveat in this could be how aggressive the FBI agents might be. It appears the FBI doesn't care much for Trump's accusations against them regarding the Russia probe. Would some of them hope to find evidence that sinks Trump's first choice? Trump burns through casual working relationships quite quickly and thoroughly.

The incident happened, there's little doubt about that unless one is intentionally blind. Kavanaugh is just too used to living a privileged life and being unaccountable for his behaviors to step up as a man would. But then he showed himself to be nothing more than a boy sheepishly cowering in a fetal position in an adult body. Psychologists must be having some hearty laughs observing Trump and his appointments and administration choices.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: I am reading your post and thinking:

"So you're OK with his drunken antics as a kid, but the Dems are evil for bringing public attention to them and suggesting that he may not be the Golden boy?

Not at all. What's the big deal? They can't touch him on his judicial performance so they bring up a dubious sexual assault claim which didn't fly well enough for them. So they go after that he likes to drink beer.

SO DO I

Alcohol consumption has been a staple of much of America.

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: And never mind that he denies it all and throws a tantrum. And nevermind that there are several more queuing up to have their say."

I don't know about a tantrum. I would also be indignant and PO'd the way he was treated.

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: And do you suppose that he has been the straight arrow since he graduated Law School?

Perhaps he's a pedophile. I mean really, he did go to Catholic school. Who knows what happened there?

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: I'd like to know a lot more before he gets in that chair.

Whatever suits your fancy.

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: But of course, it's all a Democrat conspiracy. Probably the Clintons are behind it.

LOL

LarsMac;1520793 wrote: This whole episode has been bizarre. We see the party power play right out there in the open. Dems, Republicans, they are all a mess.

Every American should be embarrassed by this crap.

WORD
magentaflame

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by magentaflame »

I was following it for a bit but it's just white noise now....just another circumstance in which the American Government is embarrassing itself.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

The Supreme Court is, arguably, the most powerful branch of the US government. They can override laws passed by Congress. They set precedents that are followed by every court in the country. Its members are expected to rise above the sometimes petty partisan politics and rule impartially. They are the only branch of government whose members are not elected. It is a lifetime appointment.

It is very important that the President and Congress thoroughly vet each candidate before appointment, so as not to risk compromising a court decision or undermining the integrity of the court. In this case, it was unusual that the President, after multiple accusations had been made that would cast doubt on the character of a nominee, asked the FBI not to investigate. That itself was amazing and sigh-provoking.

At this point in our society, it is probable that a court case involving the definition of “consent” may rise to the level of the Supreme Court. How could a Supreme Court ruling be respected, with so many unanswered questions about the nominee’s past actions and moral principles?

Now, the FBI will do an investigation but has been given a time limit and directions from the President to clear the nominee’s name.

I can’t recall any Supreme Court nominations in my lifetime, withe possible exception of Clarence Thomas, where the nominee did not withdraw or the President did not withdraw the nomination.

It is thoroughly mind boggling.
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

And then this... White House limits scope of the FBI's allegations against Brett Kavanaugh

Hmmm. I can't seem to post a link, so here it is: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic ... d_ms_fb_ma
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

'They can do whatever they have to do. They'll be doing things we have never even thought of,'

That was Trump yesterday. Of course, right on cue, contradicting everything he and the rest of the GOP had previously stated that the Senate staff is adequate enough to do the investigating.

Had Grassley and Trump been smart, they would have spared Kavanaugh from making a public fool of himself and spared the rest of us from having to witness what their choice of a SCOTUS justice looks like under pressure by handing this off to the FBI when they became aware of it. It makes no difference when Feinstein made them aware of Ford's letter. Let the nominee stand on his own in the face of the accusations, if he's as perfect as they claim then there's nothing to be afraid of.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1520790 wrote:

1. Dr. Ford cried for sympathy, cute.

2. Any shock with that with all the delays and slander Kavanah wouldn't be somewhat blunt? He was speaking emotionally, not as a judge.

1. And you know this for certain, how? A favor, please, ask your wife to kick you in the a$$.

2. Maybe you might behave this way. A highly trained professional is expected to conduct his/her self with maturity and aplomb:

"a·plomb

self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation.

synonyms: poise, self-assurance, self-confidence, calmness, composure, collectedness, levelheadedness, sangfroid, equilibrium, equanimity; unflappability"

In other words, behave with dignity and self control.
Patsy Warnick

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Don't forget AZ Senator Flake (Mr. Red Face) requesting a FBI investigation. Of course that was after he was approached at the elevator.

And all the poise - self assurance- composure - Kavanah lost his temper.

Perhaps this is a example on how he'll conduct himself as a judge?

Kavanah - do you really want this position? He's putting his whole family through these accusations & end result.

interesting mess.

Patsy
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1520812 wrote: 1. And you know this for certain, how?

I should not have written that, mea culpa. Problem is she wanted anonymity but was betrayed. I don't believe Sen Feinstein her self did that. She was never told she could do this behind closed doors, the Judiciary Committee would travel to California. To bad nobody told her that, like her lawyers.

Her tears were real, thanks to the duplicity of certain Democrats.

AnneBoleyn;1520812 wrote: A favor, please, ask your wife to kick you in the a$$.

AGAIN? I am just glad she decided to spend a couple of weeks visiting her Mom.

AnneBoleyn;1520812 wrote: 2. Maybe you might behave this way. A highly trained professional is expected to conduct his/her self with maturity and aplomb:

"a·plomb

self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation.

synonyms: poise, self-assurance, self-confidence, calmness, composure, collectedness, levelheadedness, sangfroid, equilibrium, equanimity; unflappability"

In other words, behave with dignity and self control.

Self-control? I think he did pretty good on that score. I to bad he got some noses out of joint.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Patsy Warnick;1520813 wrote: Don't forget AZ Senator Flake (Mr. Red Face) requesting a FBI investigation. Of course that was after he was approached at the elevator.

And all the poise - self assurance- composure - Kavanah lost his temper.

Perhaps this is a example on how he'll conduct himself as a judge?

Kavanah - do you really want this position? He's putting his whole family through these accusations & end result.

interesting mess.

Patsy

I don't see as he lost it, rather he came in to express his anger.

Sometimes poise and aplomb just don't cut it.
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1520817 wrote: I don't see as he lost it, rather he came in to express his anger.

Sometimes poise and aplomb just don't cut it.
Well, all tha crap about the Clintons and the Democrats out to torpedo his nomination kinda discolored his bi-partisan demeanor.

I have to say, all that came across as a temper tantrum like a teenager might offer up when they're caught.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1520823 wrote: Well, all tha crap about the Clintons and the Democrats out to torpedo his nomination kinda discolored his bi-partisan demeanor.

I have to say, all that came across as a temper tantrum like a teenager might offer up when they're caught.

You don't think there was any kind of set up? Ford wanted it to be confidential, they sat on it for almost two months then leaked it at the eleventh hour to stall the vote. The four witnesses Ford named all came out and said it didn't happen as far as they knew, It happened over 36 years ago, he has been through 6 F.B.I. investigations already just to get to where he is. Have you heard of any actual evidence? Do we live in a country that you are innocent until proven guilty?

I totally understand his "tantrum" if he is innocent. What is he supposed to do if this is just a setup, just continue to let it ruin his reputation? I don't care if he drank a lot of beer in highschool and college, what has he done the last 25 years? Is it really important that he played drinking games and had a nickname for farts in highschool?
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520825 wrote: What is he supposed to do if this is just a setup, just continue to let it ruin his reputation?Insist the FBI investigate to uncover not only the facts that would clear him but also uncover the wrongdoers. It's already out there and sweeping it under the rug certainly won't clear his good name, will it?

That aside; I'd be interested in understanding the setup itself. Anyone who is sure it is a setup should be able to explain it to those of us who don't see it yet.

Would you care to elucidate us?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1520825 wrote: You don't think there was any kind of set up? Ford wanted it to be confidential, they sat on it for almost two months then leaked it at the eleventh hour to stall the vote. The four witnesses Ford named all came out and said it didn't happen as far as they knew, It happened over 36 years ago, he has been through 6 F.B.I. investigations already just to get to where he is. Have you heard of any actual evidence? Do we live in a country that you are innocent until proven guilty?

I totally understand his "tantrum" if he is innocent. What is he supposed to do if this is just a setup, just continue to let it ruin his reputation? I don't care if he drank a lot of beer in highschool and college, what has he done the last 25 years? Is it really important that he played drinking games and had a nickname for farts in highschool?

As you can see, I said "IF" this is a setup. Only the two of them know for sure.

But for one, how come this wasn't brought up til last week not July 6th when DiFi was made aware of the allegation? If brought to light at that time there would have been ample time for a F.B.I. investigation.

Why wasn't this discovered on the first 6 F.B.I. investigations of BK?
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1520825 wrote: You don't think there was any kind of set up? Ford wanted it to be confidential, they sat on it for almost two months then leaked it at the eleventh hour to stall the vote. The four witnesses Ford named all came out and said it didn't happen as far as they knew, It happened over 36 years ago, he has been through 6 F.B.I. investigations already just to get to where he is. Have you heard of any actual evidence? Do we live in a country that you are innocent until proven guilty?

No, I do not buy the setup. He and a bunch of his buddies probably did exactly what they are accused of, and got away with it because the girls didn't want to get caught up in all the trouble that reporting it would have caused them. (They were probably not supposed to be at those parties, either, ya know.)

And guys get away with that stuff all the time. I saw some stuff like that back in college days, and remember how the Frat boys behaved. I did my share of stupid stuff in high school and college, too. Nothing quite that far, but there are some things I'd probably not want to get out if I was running for office or standing for a Judgeship.

And that tantrum was over the top for a man who would be part of the highest court in the land.

BTW, Here is an interesting read:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i ... ncna907391
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520828 wrote: As you can see, I said "IF" this is a setup. Only the two of them know for sure.

But for one, how come this wasn't brought up til last week not July 6th when DiFi was made aware of the allegation? If brought to light at that time there would have been ample time for a F.B.I. investigation.

Why wasn't this discovered on the first 6 F.B.I. investigations of BK?Even using "if", surely you can explain what the setup is, even if you yourself are skeptical of it.

Let's start here:

Are Ford and her accusations part of the setup? Meaning she either made this up on her own or is a patsy, but either way, it didn't happen?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1520829 wrote: No, I do not buy the setup. He and a bunch of his buddies probably did exactly what they are accused of, and got away with it because the girls didn't want to get caught up in all the trouble that reporting it would have caused them. (They were probably not supposed to be at those parties, either, ya know.)

And guys get away with that stuff all the time. I saw some stuff like that back in college days, and remember how the Frat boys behaved. I did my share of stupid stuff in high school and college, too. Nothing quite that far, but there are some things I'd probably not want to get out if I was running for office or standing for a Judgeship.

And that tantrum was over the top for a man who would be part of the highest court in the land.

BTW, Here is an interesting read:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i ... ncna907391

So, accusations is all that is needed? No evidence or corroboration needed?
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1520830 wrote: Even using "if", surely you can explain what the setup is, even if you yourself are skeptical of it.

Let's start here:

Are Ford and her accusations part of the setup? Meaning she either made this up on her own or is a patsy, but either way, it didn't happen?

I have no idea if Ford is part of anything. The timing would be the set up.
Patsy Warnick

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I don't feel this is a "set up". I do question the timing with Ford coming forward.

Patsy
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520832 wrote: I have no idea if Ford is part of anything. The timing would be the set up.Why then would the timing matter?

Both sides are undoubtedly playing politics to some degree. The Republicans want to rush the nomination and Dems want to delay it. The question is; why does any of that matter to anyone who is impartial? Buying into either sides tactics is the trap. Both are in effect "setups". That's why whether or not Ford is part of Dems conspiracy is important. The Dems entire game falls apart without Ford.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1520834 wrote: Why then would the timing matter?

Both sides are undoubtedly playing politics to some degree. The Republicans want to rush the nomination and Dems want to delay it. The question is; why does any of that matter to anyone who is impartial? Buying into either sides tactics is the trap. Both are in effect "setups". That's why whether or not Ford is part of Dems conspiracy is important. The Dems entire game falls apart without Ford.

I agree it's a sh!t show. I suppose we will have to wait for the FBI report. The problem is., both of their lives have probably been damaged from this and the politicos could care less
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1520835 wrote: I agree it's a sh!t show. I suppose we will have to wait for the FBI report. The problem is., both of their lives have probably been damaged from this and the politicos could care less

OH, and the timing matters because there are cases coming up that they (Dems) don't want to have a lopsided court.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520836 wrote: OH, and the timing matters because there are cases coming up that they (Dems) don't want to have a lopsided court.Neither side wants a lopsided court. I don't want a lopsided court either. I'd prefer a SCOTUS with jurists that are legal scholars who are objective and impartial, all. Listening to BK, I'm not seeing that.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1520837 wrote: Neither side wants a lopsided court. I don't want a lopsided court either. I'd prefer a SCOTUS with jurists that are legal scholars who are objective and impartial, all. Listening to BK, I'm not seeing that.

I posted this once but it didn't take.

How is he supposed to react to an accusation that no date, time, location or corroborating witnesses.. I wasn't there! ... Um where?

And from what I've read the year has changed a couple of times
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1520839 wrote: That's fair enough.

But how is he supposed to fight an accusation that no time was given, no location, no date, and no corroborating witnesses. An alibi is impossible. I wasn't there..um where?

And from what I've read the year has changed.Ford has said that she might be able to give more details if she knows when Mark Judge worked at Safeway. Judge has refused to offer any information to help and so it needs to be investigated. Everyone agrees that Ford's claims seem credible. Those defending Kavanaugh want to assert that it's a case of mistaken identity.

If Kavanaugh was a fall down blackout drunk like his yearbook seems to indicate, then it is possible that he could have done this and not recall it. Remember that his good friend Mark Judge has already admitted that that was his state of mind back then. Judge went so far as to write a book on the subject.

If Ford (and the Dems) wanted to create a he said - she said accusation where no corroboration was possible and only wanted to put this nominee off, why in the world would she put Judge in the room with them?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1520843 wrote: Ford has said that she might be able to give more details if she knows when Mark Judge worked at Safeway. Judge has refused to offer any information to help and so it needs to be investigated. Everyone agrees that Ford's claims seem credible. Those defending Kavanaugh want to assert that it's a case of mistaken identity.

If Kavanaugh was a fall down blackout drunk like his yearbook seems to indicate, then it is possible that he could have done this and not recall it. Remember that his good friend Mark Judge has already admitted that that was his state of mind back then. Judge went so far as to write a book on the subject.

If Ford (and the Dems) wanted to create a he said - she said accusation where no corroboration was possible and only wanted to put this nominee off, why in the world would she put Judge in the room with them?

I think that if it was just a matter of him being a bit over the top back in High School and College days, and he showed some contrition, I'd have said, well, yeah, he was a bad boy, but he grew up and became a decent human.

The problem is that I don't see that second part in him. He comes across as an arrogant prick who thinks it his birthright to be on the SC.
- DH Lawrence
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I don't understand why the GOP feels the need to vote before the midterm elections. What's the big rush? If he's only going to get confirmed by a razor thin margin, he's not the right guy anyway. Why not pick someone else with broader support?

The GOP was, after all, all about waiting "till the people had spoken" with Garland. Now it seems they don't like the idea after all.

His responses were at times very belligerent and unconvincing. Women typically don't volunteer for death threats unless they are telling the truth. Plus, how did she know that he was drinking (illegally) at these parties if her story is completely made up?
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

I understand Trump is not allowing the FBI to interview either Kavanaugh or Ford. it also appears the FBI is not permitted to investigate anything outside the specific allegations Ford made. IOW, no drinking unless it relates to the incident in question, and since Ford can't offer more details and nobody else remembers it, except perhaps Mark Judge, then there's nothing to investigate.

Talk about a farce.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Wandrin

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Wandrin »

I just don't understand why the White House staff and the GOP didn't want any sort of investigation of him before him was nominated.

Common sense would dictate that this would be the only way to have confidence that something like this wouldn't come up in the confirmation hearings and potentially embarrass them and perhaps cost them some votes in the mid-terms.

I don't understand why they thought that they could just pick someone from a list of right wing judges and it would work out fine for them, without having investigated first.

Add this to the list of the many, many things I don't understand about the way this administration does things.
Patsy Warnick

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Patsy Warnick »

All these details Ford can't remember - perhaps her therapist could provide the details.

Ford has been under care to handle the ordeal.

just a suggestion.

Patsy
yaaarrrgg

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by yaaarrrgg »

Looks like the investigation wrapped up. It sounds like dozens of classmates with information were never contacted by the FBI. I'm guessing they only spoke with Kavanaugh's drinking buddies, who (for unknown reasons) couldn't remember the parties.
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

There are a lot of people in the legal profession coming out against Kavanaugh's appointment.

2,400+ law professors https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage, retired conservative supreme court justice, John Paul Stevens and even one of Kavanaugh's most trusted friends and confidants, Benjamin Wittes https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... gh/571936/

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

So how long before those folks start getting shipped off the the camps?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Well, a couple of the republicans voiced their concerns, Sen Jeff Flake, Arizona senator, caused the "FBI investigation" by agreeing to advance The judge to the Senate Floor only if the committee would ask for the investigation.

Susan Collins of Maine stared out with concerns, but caved fairly quickly.

Both of these seemed to focus only on the accusations from Dr Ford, and ignored pretty much every other concern brought up, including the rather embarrassing behavior of the judge during his "testimony" before the Senate committee.

In the vote, today, both Senators caved to their party, abandoning any hope of getting real answers to the many questions surrounding the candidate.

So, at least for now, the Republicans have a tight grip on all three branches of government, and we are in for quite a ride until at least January.

My imagination runs wild, and I picture scenes like the sacking of the Palace from Warren Beatty's "Reds"

That image has been in my mind ever since the pics released by the White House in February of The Donald posing in the Oval Office with Kid Rock, Ted Nugent, and friends.

Hang on Folks, It's gonna be a bumpy ride.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars

That bumpy ride might just be right up Flakes A$$.

Watch Flake run for President - we won't forget he caved..

When Flake asked for the F.B.I. week investigation - he made his statement with a RED FACE - almost looked like he had a rash.. If you can find it anywhere - look. Seriously Flake is a idiot. - he folded - when he was captured in that elevator confrontation - after the elevator episode - he entered this F.B.I. investigation with a rash it was so against his real feelings.

There was also a episode here in AZ where Flakes son & others were watching a dog kennel for a few days - the dogs died. Flake son walked and others were prosecuted.

I'm sure you may have noticed - I Don't Like FLAKE - I won't forget when he throws his hat in for Pres.. wimp

Patsy
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1520903 wrote: Lars

That bumpy ride might just be right up Flakes A$$.

Watch Flake run for President - we won't forget he caved..

When Flake asked for the F.B.I. week investigation - he made his statement with a RED FACE - almost looked like he had a rash.. If you can find it anywhere - look. Seriously Flake is a idiot. - he folded - when he was captured in that elevator confrontation - after the elevator episode - he entered this F.B.I. investigation with a rash it was so against his real feelings.

There was also a episode here in AZ where Flakes son & others were watching a dog kennel for a few days - the dogs died. Flake son walked and others were prosecuted.

I'm sure you may have noticed - I Don't Like FLAKE - I won't forget when he throws his hat in for Pres.. wimp

Patsy

Surely, he won't have the nerve to show his face in 2020.

I watched that BS he pulled in the hearing. I knew that he was going to fold already. What a spineless wimp.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

Although Kavanaugh is now a SC Justice there's no hiding the arrogance and pretense with which he will serve.

What I mean by that is Kavanaugh was so upset that his good name had been damaged that he became angry and partisan, however, now that he's been confirmed under the worst conditions a member can be, and his name never did get cleared by that sham of an investigation, Brett is now all smiles. He no longer gives a damn what his reputation is now that he's achieved his goal. Very American of him.

That is as glaring an example of Kavanaugh's pretentious displays as there can be.

C'est la vie!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1520906 wrote: Although Kavanaugh is now a SC Justice there's no hiding the arrogance and pretense with which he will serve.

What I mean by that is Kavanaugh was so upset that his good name had been damaged that he became angry and partisan, however, now that he's been confirmed under the worst conditions a member can be, and his name never did get cleared by that sham of an investigation, Brett is now all smiles. He no longer gives a damn what his reputation is now that he's achieved his goal. Very American of him.

That is as glaring an example of Kavanaugh's pretentious displays as there can be.

C'est la vie!

There is actually some serious talk about the ABA (American Bar Association) investigating him for his behavior, and for his comments, under Oath, to the Senate Committee.

What would happen to his spot on the bench if the ABA disbarred his sorry a$$.

That could prove interesting.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

My understanding is that the national ABA possesses less authority than state ABAs do.

Alan Dershowitz wrote an op-ed concerning the idea of holding Kavanaugh responsible post-confirmation. For anyone who would care to read it.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/alan-de ... nquisition

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

A good piece. I have to agree.

The Democrats are no better than the GOP when it comes to partisanship.

I think that the only thing that will save this country and our Democracy is to get a third party, or a significant number of non-aligned (independent) representatives and Senators into the mix.

The Dems need to focus on what they did wrong in the last decade to create the madhouse we have today. Their arrogance and bullying helped to create the Monster that is Trump.

As for Kavanaugh and his accusers, unless some very specific, and verifiable accusations come up, it would be completely pointless to pursue his questionable behavior in school days from a legal perspective. It's time to move on.

I just hope and pray that the rest of the justices on the Bench have a few more years left in them.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Maher says some really dumb stuff IMO, but one point that he often makes is that what Republicans have over Democrats is their tribal-like unity, and I personally agree with him on that.

Democrats are less unified in their political philosophically as a group than are Republicans. I think that has much to do with the conditioning of sports on the psyche. Sports serves to unify for unity's sake. Many Democrats lack this type of conditioning and so lack cohesiveness in their politics.

There is an exception to this, and that is what is often referred to as the far left, i.e. animal rights groups and environmentalists. These liberal groups have a shared basis of concern that bonds them.

If Democrats are to ever to play like Republican, they'll need to embrace a fundamental core value other than money, which is all they seem to care about.

Jobs is a great issue, but not in a vacuum.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1520910 wrote: Bill Maher says some really dumb stuff IMO, but one point that he often makes is that what Republicans have over Democrats is their tribal-like unity, and I personally agree with him on that.

Democrats are less unified in their political philosophically as a group than are Republicans. I think that has much to do with the conditioning of sports on the psyche. Sports serves to unify for unity's sake. Many Democrats lack this type of conditioning and so lack cohesiveness in their politics.

There is an exception to this, and that is what is often referred to as the far left, i.e. animal rights groups and environmentalists. These liberal groups have a shared basis of concern that bonds them.

If Democrats are to ever to play like Republican, they'll need to embrace a fundamental core value other than money, which is all they seem to care about.

Jobs is a great issue, but not in a vacuum.

I cannot say that I see that "party unity" you refer to. Having been a Republican for years, I think what is happening is that most of the reasonable GOP members have seen the Zombie apocalypse taking over the party, and bailed. Many of us are now unaffiliated. This unity that you refer to is more of a shift in the membership as the lunatics take over the farm, and those with any measure of sanity abandon their posts and run for their lives.

The Democrats were at their best when they had a true purpose - Like ending segregation. Though we saw a similar migration there in the South when the "Status Quo Southern Dems" abandoned the party in the late 60s

They eventually found a home in the Republican party. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of thing, which now may bring a new conservative mindset to the old line Democratic party. That could be an improvement.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Brett Kavanaugh

Post by tude dog »

Return to “Societal Issues News”