High Speed 2 review

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

High Speed 2 review

Post by spot »

If Boris does nothing else useful in his role as Prime Minister, the reconsideration of HS2 makes him well worth the effort and worry. HS2 has been a white elephant ever since it was a one-page blue-sky suggestion twenty years ago.

The idea of upgrading a single route on the rail system from London to Scotland should have been background maintenance. Instead of that, HS2 has ballooned into a £50bn pig-trough and, given the government's overspend record on massive projects, it's quite capable of doubling for a fourth time. HS2 is a scandal, one can only hope that the go/nogo end of the year decision will be to cancel the entire charade.

HS2 has been a gravy train. It has already blown as much tax revenue as both of those piss-poor white elephant aircraft carriers - the ones with no aircraft - and it hasn't even a scrap value in razorblades. £7bn down the drain, but at least the haemorrhage might now be amputated before it drains the entire treasury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49420332
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chocoholic

High Speed 2 review

Post by chocoholic »

In complete agreement with you, sooner it is scrapped the better.

Would also say that the entire rail system is an utter mess and could do with a re-think.
gmc

High Speed 2 review

Post by gmc »

Would make more sense and actually improve the econoimy to invest in providing everybody with access to high speed broadband. Not least because they could video conference rathar than take a train. Been down in the south of england and london couple of times recentky the broad band speeds are appallingly slow.

Return to “Current Political Events”