Eurail tickets

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

I am trying to make sure how the Eurail Pass works these days?

Back in the late 90s I went to Europe to do some product training with IBM. I had to travel to various Cities to meet with Support reps. I found that using Eurail was more practical that flying.

I spent 400 USD to buy a month long pass which allowed me to travel around Western Europe. and meet with each region.

I am now planning a trip for my wife and myself next December/January with the focal point of the trip being the New Year concert at Vienna Philharmonic.

We do NOT fly. So we are planning to take Cunard Line, NYC to Southhampton, and then take the rail from London to Vienna, and then back to Hamburg for a trip to Ft Lauderdale, FL mid January.

With a few days to kill I'd like to make a few stops on the way from London, and on the way back to Hamburg.

Must you pick the days you plan to travel at purchase? or can you purchase the pass and then randomly select destinations as you go?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Eurail tickets

Post by spot »

You don't need to book ahead. On any day you travel, you use one of the days the pass is good for. If you have a 7 day pass then any day you travel is one of the days, and the pass expires a month after the first journey, and you can travel on any seven days with gaps between them. The ticket is good for most countries in Europe including the UK. If you're an EU citizen there are a few restrictions within your home nation, to stop people using holiday tariffs for regular commuting (which is more expensive).
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

I thought that Waterloo was the departing station for EuroStar

Though it seems St Pancras is so.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Eurail tickets

Post by spot »

It's been a lot of London stations to the Continent over the years.

There was a rail tunnel under the centre of London from Victorian times but it was closed to passengers during the first world war and not re-opened until it was redeveloped to allow a north-south passenger link about twenty years ago. It was talked of as the route for the high-speed link under the channel, but then it wasn't. Passenger trains definitely use it now though. But one of the stations on that route, Blackfriars, used to be a departure station to Europe a hundred years back. St Pancras / Kings Cross is the departure station now.

Victoria and Waterloo both ran boat trains to Dover. Fenchurch Street ran another boat train from Harwich. The multiplicity was due to different companies having exclusive use of the many terminal stations around London.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

OK, starting to make sense of it, now.

Will probably hold off on too many details until I find out if we get tickets in the February Drawing.

The initial plan, it seems, is to arrive Southhampton, and spend the night around there, then arrange transport to London, spend a day or so, then Eurostar to Brussels or Paris. Spend a day or two, and on to Vienna.

On the way home, perhaps Frankfurt or Colgne, to Hamburg.

I am assuming, though that January is not the best time for being a tourists in the region.

If we miss our ship the 8th of January, we would either be stuck in Europe for the winter, of be forced to Fly home. The Mrs would probably have my head for THAT.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1529346 wrote: It's been a lot of London stations to the Continent over the years.

There was a rail tunnel under the centre of London from Victorian times but it was closed to passengers during the first world war and not re-opened until it was redeveloped to allow a north-south passenger link about twenty years ago. It was talked of as the route for the high-speed link under the channel, but then it wasn't. Passenger trains definitely use it now though. But one of the stations on that route, Blackfriars, used to be a departure station to Europe a hundred years back. St Pancras / Kings Cross is the departure station now.

Victoria and Waterloo both ran boat trains to Dover. Fenchurch Street ran another boat train from Harwich. The multiplicity was due to different companies having exclusive use of the many terminal stations around London.

Well, it was in late '99, or early 2000 when I took the EuroStar back and forth to Paris. I am certain it was Waterloo, at the time. Perhaps they made the change to St Pancras when the built the new rail lines for the high speed run.

The tracks were rather rough back then, and it took three hours to get to Dover. Once in the tunnel it was a bit over an hour to to get to Paris. Now it seems to be a 3 hour run St Pancras to Gare du Nord.

OF course, by the time we will begin our trip, you guys will likely not be members of EU, and it could be a whole new game.

If memory serves the Eurostar is NOT part of the Eurail Pass.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Eurail tickets

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1529350 wrote: If memory serves the Eurostar is NOT part of the Eurail Pass.The rules have changed and there are variations on the current passes too. It does insist on pre-booking the Eurostar seat, but you can buy the pass before you make the reservation nearer the date.

https://www.eurail.com/en/help/interest ... rail-pass-

St Pancras ran its first passenger train through the Eurotunnel in November 2007. Before then it was Waterloo, yes, and the high speed line only started at Calais. Or eventually Ashford in Kent for a while, while it was being brought into London.
tabby

Eurail tickets

Post by tabby »

That sounds like a wonderful vacation, Lars! Your days on the ship should be relaxing. How long does the crossing take?
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1529363 wrote: That sounds like a wonderful vacation, Lars! Your days on the ship should be relaxing. How long does the crossing take?

seven days over, New York to Southampton.

Hamburg to Ft Lauderdale is nine.

We plan to store the RV near daughter's home in Palm Beach County, and drive a rental car to NY. When we get back to Florida, we'll probably just spend the winter there.

A friend and Co-worker who lives near Mainz has invited us to visit for Christmas. I am now contemplating taking the train there, and renting a car. We can then drive the rest of the way to Vienna, and then return the car in Mainz, and take the train to Hamburg.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Eurail tickets

Post by Betty Boop »

I've done the Eurostar from St Pancras to Brussels. Very easy trip and its half hour in the tunnel, you notice the black doors close at the ends of the carriages and when they're there you know you're under the sea.

I'd happily do that trip again but you wouldn't catch me at sea on a boat for 7 or 9 days ! Yikes.
LarsMac

Eurail tickets

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1529395 wrote: I've done the Eurostar from St Pancras to Brussels. Very easy trip and its half hour in the tunnel, you notice the black doors close at the ends of the carriages and when they're there you know you're under the sea.

I'd happily do that trip again but you wouldn't catch me at sea on a boat for 7 or 9 days ! Yikes.

I've only taken the Eurostar to between Paris and London.

I would like to visit Brussels, again.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Eurail tickets

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1529348 wrote: OK, starting to make sense of it, now.

Will probably hold off on too many details until I find out if we get tickets in the February Drawing.

The initial plan, it seems, is to arrive Southhampton, and spend the night around there, then arrange transport to London, spend a day or so, then Eurostar to Brussels or Paris. Spend a day or two, and on to Vienna.

On the way home, perhaps Frankfurt or Colgne, to Hamburg.

I am assuming, though that January is not the best time for being a tourists in the region.

If we miss our ship the 8th of January, we would either be stuck in Europe for the winter, of be forced to Fly home. The Mrs would probably have my head for THAT.

It does have a major advantage in that there are fewer tourists around so no long queues to get in to see the sights and the locals aren't too jaded with all the visitors. The cities like vienna and london were built before mechanised transport most of the interesting bits on a short visit are within walking distance of each other, driving in vienna is no fun and neither is getting somewhere to park. At least for you they will not be on the wrong side of the road.
Betty Boop

Eurail tickets

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac;1529399 wrote: I've only taken the Eurostar to between Paris and London.

I would like to visit Brussels, again.

We only saw Brussels train station as we got on a train to Bruges, very pretty place and I'd happily go back.

I've never been to Paris, it doesn't appeal to me one bit.
Patsy Warnick

Eurail tickets

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Wow Lars - this sounds like a trip of a lifetime..

We flew to Paris in 1999 - long flight - don't think I could do that again.

Your trip sounds wonderful. A Cruise is a great way to travel - we're looking into a Cruise.

Patsy

Return to “Travel Vacation”