Opinions concerning Windows Firewall on Windows Ten, and how effective is it ?

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I have lost the ability of transferring YouTube videos onto a forum. Up till now I have not experienced this sort of problem so I wondered how effective is the generic Windows Firewall, and in fact how reliable is it. Should I purchase an independent Firewall, if so what make and where from please?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

It's a long time since I put a firewall on a Windows 10 machine.

I have a firewall on my router which protects all of my home network from both inbound and outbound prohibited network traffic. My network includes my printer and everything I use on WiFi like phones and tablets and visiting laptops. The firewall on the router is built-in, every router has one but I configure mine because I know my router's admin password.

I have Windows Defender on any Windows 10 machine in the network, and that blocks any downloaded infected software (malware or a virus) from running on that machine. It can also run Windows Defender Firewall which is a superlative product too. I'd have no objection to switching that capability on as well - it's described at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -on-or-off - but it won't protect anything else you have at home using your WiFi.

I think this combination is robust.

In terms of "Should I purchase an independent" anything, I strongly recommend you never ever purchase any software. If you can think of any you feel is essential I'd be interested to know what it is. I'd pay for a PAYE tax system if I had employees but that's one of the few exceptions.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1529625 wrote: I have lost the ability of transferring YouTube videos onto a forum. Up till now I have not experienced this sort of problem so I wondered how effective is the generic Windows Firewall, and in fact how reliable is it. Should I purchase an independent Firewall, if so what make and where from please?

I am not sure that your windows firewall is related to your problem "transferring YouTube Videos onto a forum."

The firewall on Windows 10 is fairly effective, unless you regularly tread the dark corners of the web.

I augmented it with WebRoot. and have not experienced any effective bugs or hacks for several years.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1529627 wrote: unless you regularly tread the dark corners of the web.

I expect Gill hasn't bought firearms or narcotics for decades, it's cruel of you to raise the possibility.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks all for your input in answer to my query. Hi LarsMac and Mr. spot, hey Mr. spot I wouldn't think for one moment that LarsMac would deliberately intend to be cruel. You know perfectly well Mr. spot that he was doing a 'funny'...............................I think ! LOL
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I’ve always thought that, if Mr Nasty is going to craft some trouble it would be aimed at penetrating the standard Micro$oft offering, Windows Defender, so I do still run a third party firewall and anti-virus. In my case I use Zone Alarm and AVG which are both free offerings that are as good as any paid for programs with less of an impact on performance than most.

I do, however, agree that a firewall is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.
spot

Post by spot »

I stopped using AVG when it began to pop up asking if I wanted to do something that sounded useful, and insisted I actively say no before it would go away, and if I ever said yes it asked for money.

Why on earth were you up at 4?

Bryn Mawr;1529632 wrote: I do, however, agree that a firewall is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

It sounded to me, reeding between the lines, that Gill has been flaunting herself on YouTube, breached their modesty rule again and she's on the naughty step for a while. Thongs and spangly stick-on stars aren't allowed.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1529631 wrote: Thanks all for your input in answer to my query. Hi LarsMac and Mr. spot, hey Mr. spot I wouldn't think for one moment that LarsMac would deliberately intend to be cruel. You know perfectly well Mr. spot that he was doing a 'funny'...............................I think ! LOL

I was actually not entirely going for the humor, to be honest.

There are all sorts of shady corners of the WWW that can be found by the most innocent wanderer.

Following that post on Facebook that starts with a quiz on how well you can identify famous people can lead you to places where they will try and convince you that you can get rich, if you give them permission to show you their secret.

That can open up your firewall for all sorts of adventures.

Permission is the key.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

G#Gill;1529625 wrote: I have lost the ability of transferring YouTube videos onto a forum. Up till now I have not experienced this sort of problem so I wondered how effective is the generic Windows Firewall, and in fact how reliable is it. Should I purchase an independent Firewall, if so what make and where from please?

G#Gill just use the old fashioned way. Copy and paste the URL, Wrap and [ /VIDEO] around it, then DELETE THE "S" on the video URL!

Here's a video with the "S" (A really cool song from Gunship that quotes "The Breakfast Club")

and here's the same video without the "S."

tabby

Post by tabby »

Saint_;1529761 wrote: G#Gill just use the old fashioned way. Copy and paste the URL, Wrap and [ /VIDEO] around it, then DELETE THE "S" on the video URL!

Here's a video with the "S" (A really cool song from Gunship that quotes "The Breakfast Club")

and here's the same video without the "S."

That's how I've been adding them but I still haven't been able to crack the code for adding a Vimeo video. As time permits, I've done a few searches and tried a few suggestions but can't seem to make it work. I haven't given up though!
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1529788 wrote: That's how I've been adding them but I still haven't been able to crack the code for adding a Vimeo video. As time permits, I've done a few searches and tried a few suggestions but can't seem to make it work. I haven't given up though!

I'd be very surprised if that option exists here. The bare URL will get highlit as a hyperlink but you'll not get a box.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Some forum sites are beginning to restrict video links.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

I had just assumed that the Vimeo videos worked the same as the YouTube ones. I don't understand enough about it to know what is making them resistant to being embedded on the forum. Some kind of Vimeo thing!

Lars, why would forums want to restrict video links?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1529881 wrote: I had just assumed that the Vimeo videos worked the same as the YouTube ones. I don't understand enough about it to know what is making them resistant to being embedded on the forum. Some kind of Vimeo thing!

Lars, why would forums want to restrict video links?

I wish I knew.

I have been on a couple that do.

I never asked
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1529881 wrote: I had just assumed that the Vimeo videos worked the same as the YouTube ones. I don't understand enough about it to know what is making them resistant to being embedded on the forum. Some kind of Vimeo thing!

Lars, why would forums want to restrict video links?It's a ForumGarden issue, I'm sure. There's a syntax for YouTube which the old vBulletin we're running knows about and transforms into a long URL to YouTube and brings back a framed video. When the old vBulletin software was made, Vimeo wasn't an issue. YouTube was baked in, Vimeo wasn't. We've not succeeded with the software upgrade path. I imagine Vimeo now works on the current vBulletin, but it doesn't here.

I've never noticed that forums are restricting video links but I don't see many sites.

The URL a forum has to generate, in order to watch a Vimeo video, looks like

for example, while a YouTube equivalent looks like

They're entirely different structures. If you have that "watch?v=" in a Vimeo URL, you won't see the video you're trying to get to. ForumGarden's software has never been told.

I shall now magically teach it how.
spot

Post by spot »

This says (vimeo)70532693(/vimeo) but with square brackets, not round ones.

[vimeo]70532693[/vimeo]
spot

Post by spot »

That works on my screen. On the other hand I might have just inserted a SQL injection vulnerability onto the site.

Return to “Computers Internet”