A discussion probably better placed in a different thread

Discuss the Christian Faith.
spot

Post by spot »

Who?

St Augustine?

I'm a flexible sort of chap but that's a bit steep. Inflexible, fundamentalist, dogmatic to the point of making a lot of the dogma up himself. I enjoy reading his sermons but I can't say he belongs in the same sentence with Bonhoeffer or Merton. I'm not sure what either of them meant by "God" but I'm sure St Augustine would have labelled them heretical. St Augustine was neither a pragmatist nor a mystic.

LarsMac;1532038 wrote: There are many Christians who are far more engaged in this life than in the "afterlife."

There are many Christians on the "front lines" of this current crisis, trying to ease the suffering, and comfort the worried, working hard to assure that the hungry are fed, and the elderly and sick are cared for.

Not all of them are represented by the likes Bakker, and Falwell, or Osteen or Robertson and their like.

May I suggest that you read a bit of Bonhoeffer, Merton, St Augustine.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1532040 wrote: Who?

St Augustine?

I'm a flexible sort of chap but that's a bit steep. Inflexible, fundamentalist, dogmatic to the point of making a lot of the dogma up himself. I enjoy reading his sermons but I can't say he belongs in the same sentence with Bonhoeffer or Merton. I'm not sure what either of them meant by "God" but I'm sure St Augustine would have labelled them heretical. St Augustine was neither a pragmatist nor a mystic.

You are probably right.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

"In the Absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?"

"Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance."

"Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others."

“This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.”

“What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.”

Hmmm, doesn't sound like too much of an intolerable sort, there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Christianity”