John Stokes, in memoriam.

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
spot

Post by spot »

A thread in which to recall the most repellently racist Westminster parliamentarian in living memory, who made Enoch Powell look like a boy scout helping grannies across the road. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a thread consisting primarily of his own words from Hansard.

Mr John Stokes

July 23, 1917 - June 27, 2003

Constituencies

Oldbury and Halesowen June 18, 1970 - February 28, 1974

Halesowen and Stourbridge February 28, 1974 - April 9, 1992

Unpleasantness writ large, Mr Stokes was. There was an earlier chap equally vile, whose name I'll possibly remember half an hour after I post this. Horatio Bottomley. I might turn to him too later, if this thread works. I could look at the political utterances of Robert Maxwell as well. Westminster used to be full of despicable bullies who had no place engaging in the national discussion. William Whitelaw was another.

Anyway. Join in, have fun. Start out reeding his Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stok ... olitician) and remembering the savagery of the ruling class after the war. Just knowing that the chap's first career was in Human Resources speaks volumes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Every time I hear "The Ruling Class" I am reminded of Peter O'Toole's 14th Earl of Gurney
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac;1532222 wrote: Every time I hear "The Ruling Class" I am reminded of Peter O'Toole's 14th Earl of Gurney

And this guy has been long dead and, hopefully, buried.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “England”