Amish Children

Traditional or digital! Share your photos. Do you view the world a little differently through a lens? Let's discuss photos that you find interesting or worthy of discussion.
Philadelphia Eagle

Amish Children

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Amish children in Pennsylvania

Attached files
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
pina

Amish Children

Post by pina »

What a lovely picture! I dont know much about the Amish Community but those two children look very sweet and happy :-6

BabyRider

Amish Children

Post by BabyRider »

Awww...those are some cute kids, Philly! Thanks for always sharing these great pics you find!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Philadelphia Eagle

Amish Children

pina wrote: What a lovely picture! I dont know much about the Amish Community but those two children look very sweet and happy :-6

Glad you like it, Pina.

The Amish originate from Europe - mainly from Switzerland and Germany.

They are sometimes referred to as 'Pennsylvania Dutch'.

The word 'Dutch' is a mispronounciation of 'Deutsch' or 'German'.

They are a very hard working and peaceful community - mainly farming and foodstuffs.

They use the old, traditional methods - no electricity, telephones etc and so all their farm produce is organic.

It's amazing that they can maintain their old traditional way of life in the midst of one of the world's most modern settings.

Clint

Amish Children

Post by Clint »

Oh how I sometimes long for a more simple life.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
capt_buzzard

Amish Children

Post by capt_buzzard »

Same here Clint.
pina

Amish Children

Post by pina »

Thanks for the info....its very interesting to know about other cultures.

The film Witness comes to mind with Harrison Ford....loved that film.

Dont suppose it was true to life but it did give me a little insight about the Amish.

Philadelphia Eagle

Amish Children

pina wrote: Thanks for the info....its very interesting to know about other cultures.

The film Witness comes to mind with Harrison Ford....loved that film.

Dont suppose it was true to life but it did give me a little insight about the Amish.
'Witness' was mainly filmed in Lancaster and Mongomery Counties here in PA.

Several of the scenes were shot in my hometown.

It seemed to me to be fairly true to life although the times that an 'outsider' would become involved romantically with a member of the Amish community are tiny - almost zero.

pina

Amish Children

Post by pina »

It seems a very peaceful way to live. What a shame others couldn't learn a few lessons from them.

ps. I must find out more its very interesting.

Philadelphia Eagle

Amish Children

pina wrote: It seems a very peaceful way to live. What a shame others couldn't learn a few lessons from them.

ps. I must find out more its very interesting.

Visit www.800padutch.com for lots of info.

mominiowa

Amish Children

Post by mominiowa »

Hey there PE - Do you know in Southern IA where I use to live - that you have to get permission to take their photo's - One man told me that they feel you "steal" their soul when it is taken...?I was so intrigued by them- and my X hated them..He grew up with them, their buggies in the roadway, not paying taxes in Iowa..blah blah blah - but I never listened to him.. I loved how they lived..the only thing I have to say bad is--when I worked at the hospital there as an aide...a couple brought a young boy- 3 years old in..He had been run over by a buggy and horse, 4 days prior---and they "prayed" for him and treated him at home..We Life Flighted him to the University of Iowa Hosp. and he later died that afternoon...:( If that were us- we would have been charged with neglect and put into jail...they - on the other hand, have different beliefs and do not have to answer to our laws...That boys death made me view things deifferently....Sometimes you can pray, but sometimes you need help.......the young girls that lived down the road from us, would babysit for us on occasion, and would FIGHT and ARGUE about which sister would do it...becuase who ever came, got to watch TV..and they didn't have anything like that at home- no electricity, excpet in the barn for their saw mill.....HA HA- Very nice people - but very different.....as - I guess.....aren't we all??? :rolleyes:

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....

Return to “Photography More”