Jacksonville, Florida

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Valerie100

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Valerie100 »

I lived in Philadelphia, PA for 33 years. I have now lived in Jacksonville, FL for a year and an half. It has been complete culture shock, and I can't afford to move. Not only is the land rougher -- hurricanes and tropical storms, but the people here are the most stupid, most hypercritical, self-rightous, self-serving, snobby, jealous, nosey and keeping up with the Jones types that I have ever met in my whole life!!! It's scary, sad and pathetic. Not only can the environment destroy you very easily here, but the natives are just as bad. I can see why this land produced such greats as Ted Bundy and Eileen Wurnos. No pun intended.
chonsigirl

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by chonsigirl »

Hello there Val! Always moving to another area is a culture shock, but is can be a great learning experience. I moved from Los Angeles to Baltimore, and experienced a great culture shock. But over time, I have begun to learn from my new neighbors and friends many good things about this area. It just takes time, and I turn it into a learning experience. And you can always go home and laugh about some things that are different, it makes the learning even funner!
chrisb84uk

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by chrisb84uk »

Valerie100 wrote: I lived in Philadelphia, PA for 33 years. I have now lived in Jacksonville, FL for a year and an half. It has been complete culture shock, and I can't afford to move. Not only is the land rougher -- hurricanes and tropical storms, but the people here are the most stupid, most hypercritical, self-rightous, self-serving, snobby, jealous, nosey and keeping up with the Jones types that I have ever met in my whole life!!! It's scary, sad and pathetic. Not only can the environment destroy you very easily here, but the natives are just as bad. I can see why this land produced such greats as Ted Bundy and Eileen Wurnos. No pun intended.

I don't know about the area, but I must admit I'm surprised that having only been there for 1 year and a half that u have such negative views on the people that live there. I agree with Chonsi, perhaps as you are unable to move that u will be able to become more comfortable with the people and surroundings over time.
Accountable

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Accountable »

Valerie100 wrote: I lived in Philadelphia, PA for 33 years. I have now lived in Jacksonville, FL for a year and an half. It has been complete culture shock, and I can't afford to move. Not only is the land rougher -- hurricanes and tropical storms, but the people here are the most stupid, most hypercritical, self-rightous, self-serving, snobby, jealous, nosey and keeping up with the Jones types that I have ever met in my whole life!!! It's scary, sad and pathetic. Not only can the environment destroy you very easily here, but the natives are just as bad. I can see why this land produced such greats as Ted Bundy and Eileen Wurnos. No pun intended.
I agree, you need to go back to Philly, land of all that is wonderful, fair, and lovely. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on yer way out, honey.

BTW, nice way to make a first impression.
abbey

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by abbey »

Valerie100 wrote: I lived in Philadelphia, PA for 33 years. I have now lived in Jacksonville, FL for a year and an half. It has been complete culture shock, and I can't afford to move. Not only is the land rougher -- hurricanes and tropical storms, but the people here are the most stupid, most hypercritical, self-rightous, self-serving, snobby, jealous, nosey and keeping up with the Jones types that I have ever met in my whole life!!! It's scary, sad and pathetic. Not only can the environment destroy you very easily here, but the natives are just as bad. I can see why this land produced such greats as Ted Bundy and Eileen Wurnos. No pun intended.I can see you being the neighbour we'd all love living next door....

BTW, Welcome to FG.:rolleyes:
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

i am familiar with Jax, or as it is also known, 'georgia south'. what brought you to jax? did you check it out at all before you made the decision to move? or perhaps you belong to a service family, they have mayport base there. i don't particularly like jax, nor do i live there, but my son went to college there. you have the real southern many-generation families, and the very wealthy types. you have a high crime/drug/murder rate. you have a big sports venue and college-age group. the landings, amelia island, exclusivity, and the other end of that spectrum there are many homeless camps in the woods. .. have you traveled a bit locally? savannah Ga. is lovely, there's st. augustine, and fantastic beaches. ....just a note, bundy came from washington state and aileen was not a local. the traffic is horrible, the culture is non-existant in florida, (except miami gets the opera.) there's a decent museum though. if you are really stuck there, i can only suggest making some friends through mutual interests. good luck!:-6 ...and hurricanes were no secret before you moved. jax has not taken a direct hit in a very long time. but evac is a nightmare.
Accountable

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Accountable »

Good ol' Flop. :-4
BabyRider

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by BabyRider »

Yeah...good ol' Floppy.

Now, Val100...we love our members from Florida, so here's an idea: Get to know them, and maybe we can help you adjust your perceptions! LC is one of the best people you'll ever be lucky enough to meet! And like Floppy said, tell us more about you! Welcome to FG!

:yh_peace
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Clint

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Clint »

I've/we've had to move several times. Each time it has required us to get used to a new culture. It hasn't been easy. This last move has been the most difficult. We just haven't fit in very well. It's not the local folks that have the problem. It is that we don't understand this kind of living (big city) and I'm beginning to think we don't want to.

There is a parable (not in the Bible) that goes like this:

A man set under a tree overlooking the city next to a path that travelers used. A traveler stopped and asked him what kind of people lived in the city below. He answered with a question; “what kind of people were there from where you came?”.... “Naves and fools” he replied. The man under the tree said; “then that is what you will find here”. A second traveler asked the man under the tree the same question and the man under the tree replied with the same question. The second traveler said; “good hearted, friendly and honest people” ... the man under the tree said; “you will find the same kind of people living here”.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Valerie100

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Valerie100 »

Thanks for the great advice and remarks everyone! :D

Let's see. I moved here after a divorce and the death of my father, which literally caused the break-up of my immediate family. My mother moved here, to Jax, after my father's death. The divorce, death and family falling apart happened over three years. (Dad was a retired Philadelphia Police Officer, by the way.)

A long story short, my mom thought she was dying (it turned out to be a bad allergic reaction, thank goodness), and I got scared that I was going to lose my mom so soon after losing my dad that I picked myself up and moved. Fortunately, at the time I had the money to make the move, a 900 mile trip with three cats. :driving: I ended up losing a good career position, though, due to the move.

I had never seen or witnessed an hurricane before in my life. Last year was my first hurricane season, and I'm told that it was an unusual one. Hurricanes and the weather situation here weren't even thoughts for me when I moved -- except of course, I knew enough to get rid of my winter boots and most of my extremely heavy winter clothing.

The way people act here is different. I feel like I don't quite understand the rules yet, either, especially with the small town attitudes. There's an almost feeling of some sort of secrecy in the air, an huge grapevine, and it's something that I'm not privy too because of being an outsider. I think people here don't understand me too well either. I'm divorced and childless, just a single. A lot of people here think that's odd -- especially, for a woman. And if one more person looks at my ring finger and mumbles to themselves -- and I've seen them do it -- "Not married," I'm going to flip. I'm just trying to create a new life for myself -- a stranger in a strange land. Mostly, I've been keeping myself busy with work and taking care of the homefront, you know.

And you are right. Adjusting has been rough. Maybe, I just need to give it some more time. These past five years have been a terrible time of transitions.

Who moved my cheese??? :-2

P.S. Flopstock, get back to me about your Philly trip.
Accountable

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Accountable »

First off, people gossip. They gossip most about strangers, busybodies who shouldn't be gossiping so much about others, and neighbors who dare to accuse them of being gossips. :wah:

Southerners in general are friendly to friendly people. Smile from the eyes, look people square in the eye when you greet them, and strike up a conversation with the most outgoing local you can find. Ignore the chaff for awhile and look for the wheat. You'll find it.:-6
Nomad

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Nomad »

When I moved from Florida to Minnesota the differences were overwhelmingly positive. You might think well, people are people but I know different dammit ! Here the kindness is in your face apparent and it feeds itself as it grows. Florida is a nice place to visit but Minnesota is a GREAT place to live !

Cmon on up Val we have room for one more. :)
I AM AWESOME MAN
CountryDweller

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by CountryDweller »

Valerie100 wrote:

The way people act here is different. I feel like I don't quite understand the rules yet, either, especially with the small town attitudes. There's an almost feeling of some sort of secrecy in the air, an huge grapevine, and it's something that I'm not privy too because of being an outsider. I think people here don't understand me too well either. I'm divorced and childless, just a single. A lot of people here think that's odd -- especially, for a woman. And if one more person looks at my ring finger and mumbles to themselves -- and I've seen them do it -- "Not married," I'm going to flip. I'm just trying to create a new life for myself -- a stranger in a strange land. Mostly, I've been keeping myself busy with work and taking care of the homefront, you know.

And you are right. Adjusting has been rough. Maybe, I just need to give it some more time. These past five years have been a terrible time of transitions.

Hi Valerie100 and welcome! Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Regarding the way people act different there and you don't understand...I am living in a small town that rolls up at dark and let me tell you it was very ruff the first year to adjust, especially coming from a Big City that everything was open 24/7. The people constantly "reminded" me that I was not "native" to the area. (Born and raised.) One thing I found out quickly about "small town" living is that if people don't know your business, they sure make something up and pass it around! It's going to take time for people to accept you just for who you are. Like Accountable told you...smile from your eyes and strike up conversations. Most folks are scared of the unknown. Once you continue to make the first move, things will calm down for you, folks will come around and you'll feel that you fit in. I wish you well!
ubetta

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by ubetta »

I moved from NY (Long Island) to Florida. And I have to tell you, people in the two areas I have lived are soooo much more friendly than where I came from. So...if Jacksonville stinks, take a small move further south. Florida is a large state and 'they' aren't all alike in every area. Many of the people where I live are northerners. We all have something in common. You hate it where you are because of attitude? Then start doing a little traveling within the state and find a place where you feel more comfortable. It's there if you want it.

Now...is it different? Yep. But, no. They aren't the stupidest people around, lol.

Just different. Not better, not worse. Just different. Doesn't mean you have to be like them...if you aren't comfortable, then start taking time to look around other areas...if you like the weather, that is. I don't remember Jacksonville getting 'hit' with any real hurricane weather last year....so I'm not even sure why that is a factor.
along-for-the-ride

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Believe it or not, my husband and I enjoy vacationing in Jax.

We park our RV at shady Hanna Park and drive to the Beach or the Zoo or the Flea Markets or Mayport.

Jacksonville is just like any other seaport town. Because it is not home to us, it takes on a more pleasant perspective as a vacation place. We are only there for a few days and we just take it for what it is.

I have lived many places in my life;Illinois, Maryland, Texas,Georgia and even in Germany more than once. Home is always what you make of it. Check out the area and see what's available in the area; stores. theatres, libraries, churches, clubs, etc. Make your home as comfortable as possible, but do reach out into your community for some activity to get involved in. Smile...and introduce yourself. It does take a little time to "feel at home."
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
rem

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by rem »

i must admit to im fom england and i've been miami twice i wouldnt go as far as to say all the people there are stupid but theres a majority of some some pretty dum people and even a cousin of mine who lives there now who moved from san diego said the same thing.
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

rem wrote: i must admit to im fom england and i've been miami twice i wouldnt go as far as to say all the people there are stupid but theres a majority of some some pretty dum people and even a cousin of mine who lives there now who moved from san diego said the same thing.well at least us 'dum' people in miami can spell dumb. and miami is nowhere near jax.
rem

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by rem »

OOOOOOHHHHHHH key board mistake love dont take it personal,

quote someone said to me when i was on holiday and found out i was from london "is it true all you do is drink tea" now if thats not dumb i dont what is.
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: What ever happened to Valerie100, anyway? I haven't seen her post in forever.she didn't like being #2? :wah:
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

*groan*
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Dont forget the insular dipsticks we breed over here who think all Americans are cowboys.

By the way I drink my tea wearing a bowler hat, dont you knowand your wellies and a brolly too right-o?? toodle pip old chap. :p
Lil~Basco

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Lil~Basco »

I read in another thread somewhere that V100 was going to California in January and asked Far Rider what sites she should go see since he lived close by to the area she was going to. :thinking:
Accountable

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Accountable »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Dont forget the insular dipsticks we breed over here who think all Americans are cowboys.

By the way I drink my tea wearing a bowler hat, dont you know
I drink beer while wearing a bowling shirt. See how much we have in common?
Accountable

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Accountable »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Your cheap and cocky. Im a chirpy cockney. Yeah I see it :wah::yh_rotfl Practically cousins! :yh_rotfl
Wolverine

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by Wolverine »

chonsigirl wrote: ... it makes the learning even funner!
and you call yourself an educator. "funner" c'mon Bunni. sheesh.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

valerie

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by valerie »

lady cop wrote: she didn't like being #2? :wah:

:D :D :D
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

martin simpkins

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by martin simpkins »

move to the uk , its nicer, i think theres a mr and mrs jones here to:wah:
martin simpkins

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by martin simpkins »

whats this dogster business
randall

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by randall »

:-6

Dear Lady Cop,

Randall has returned to haunt you - there was a police cruiser parked almost permanently on the driveway about four houses from my daughter's house. It never seemed to move.

Were you keeping an eye on me.? Staking me out as it were.

Anyway my wife and I bought two lovely T-shirts and Baseball Caps from a police cruiser (Only eight dollars for the lot???) on behalf of raising funds for the "Handicapped Run" Best buy of the holiday.

The cruiser was parked outside "TARGETS" on Bruce B. Downs Boulevard and it seemed to be a very strategically situated spot. "Buy or I'm afraid I'll have to give you nice people a citation." I thought that that was some kind of reward! Stupid me - only joking.

Give poor Martin Simpkin and REM a break - maybe he was thinking of "Dum Dum" bullets which must be familiar to all you police folk

I personally thought that the standard of service from shop assistants has gone down in recent years. One young man behind a camera desk had never heard of a "Leica":, a "Contax", A "Rolleiflex" ; A Twin lens reflex and didn't know if you could change the lenses on a very expensive Cannon camera he was selling - he never even tried to see if the lens would come out!

I told him that they usually had a bayonet fitting (He could not understand my pronunciation but luckily an American Scot was lurking nearby and came to my aid.

They made it sound something like "BAY - ON - AY" AND WHO IS TO SAY THEY ARE WRONG?

My wife did buy a new "OLYMPUS" camera from him only to discover when we unwrapped it it couild only take two speed of film - 200 ASA or 400 ASA!

As Sir Winston S. Churchill so truly said, "Two nations divided by a single language."

We journey, we travel, we hear many tongues and even more accents and the only thing it should do is enrich our lives, our minds and our adventure of life.

Our most memorable event was when our daughter took us many mile to a Christmas Eve (I am shocked that the word Christmas is fround upon in the USA although I did hear of many illegal nativity scenes being set up in the dead of night in many places in many states)

When we got out of the car my wife and I just stood in amazement and stared in awe at the huge building - bigger than the Palace of Westminster by my reckoning.

"Have you ever been here before?" we asked our daughter. "No." came the simple reply.

"What is it?"

"It is 'The Exciting Idlewild Baptist Church."

About five and half thousand seats, two hundred of a choir plus orchestra and huge television screen on which you could see the minister, the choir or anything else close up. Ten people were baptised that night.

My camera lens just could not take in the whole building built on over two hundred acres.

It was a bigger cultural shock to me than moving from Phili to Miami or Jacksonville and to our surprise it only started the year my wife was born 1934.

and has been in about six different sites.

Our home church has been going for over a hundred years and still has only a few hundred members - the complete building of our church could easily sit in the huge vestibule of that church and they only had their first service there on the 23rd October. 2005.

I know that the word vestibule has a slightly different meaning in the USA.

A gigantic leap in faith.

So we went back the next Sunday and the next Sunday where upon my young grandson enrolled in the primary Sunday School and my daughter started proceedings to join the church with her daughter.

I took many, many photographs both inside the church and outside without a flash BUT I HAD 800 ASA FILM in my wife's very old, and cracked from falls, Olympus 110 which can take any speed of film. Up to 1000 ASA anway!)

All the photos came outr exceptionally well.

Anyone intersted in the building can let me know and I will try to load them into my post.

That alone made our holiday.

The following day we started that long air-flight home from Orlando to Toronto, London and Aberdeen.

Exhausted and yet strangely, refreshed.

God Bless All

randall

:)
lady cop

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by lady cop »

i'm sorry i didn't have the pleasure of meeting you Randall! :-6
AussiePam

Jacksonville, Florida

Post by AussiePam »

There's some interesting posts on here. Glad I got to see them even if belatedly. Arnold - You're from Kent!!! And Cockney wifit, know wha' I mean my son. Grin. Well since the boundaries of London got redefined, I think a lot of Kent is now Greater London and even maybe within earshot of the old Bow Bells. My kids' Grand dad was a cockney draper.. and the family eventually lived in Wilmington near Dartford. What part of Kent are you from. It's a big county. I'm a Sydney girl and attribute some of my bolshieness and general attitoooood to the ethos of my home town - a part of which probably derives from our convict past - and many of those convicts were of course Cockey Londoners or Irish.

I'm sorry Val 100 has had such a rough time - glad she stumbled in here. There's a lot of warmth in the FG.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Travel Vacation”